Website update 7/16/13: We are having some theme/layout issues. Will fix them soon. Thanks.
I. New Gmail Layout Threatens Email Marketing As We Know It
Email is one of the original eCommerce platforms, and it is also one of the most effective for merchants. 83% of small and medium-size businesses say email is critically important to their overall marketing strategy.
So, what happens when the world’s most used email service, Gmail, introduces a new tabbed layout that automatically hides automated marketing emails? Email users rejoice. Marketers cringe. Melanie and Emily weigh in on why this is good news for consumers, but potentially catastrophic news for digital marketers.
- Customer acquisitions gained via email marketing has quadrupled since 2009, with email delivering more customers than Facebook or Twitter. Custora Report via MarketingLand
- Customers acquired via email were 11 percent more valuable than the average customer, while customers acquired via Facebook ranked as average. Custora Report via MarketingLand
- Report from iContact finds that “83 percent of small and medium-size businesses say email is important or critically important to their overall marketing strategy. The report also notes that businesses are spending more of their marketing budgets on email than on any other tactic.”
- Marketing email open rate in North America is 25.7% according to Direct Marketing Association.
- iContact reports that 24% of email opens occur within an hour of delivery. After the first hour, that number drops to just 9%.
- 43% of email is now opened on a mobile device. Litmus Report.
- Mobile purchasing decisions are most influenced by Emails from companies (71%) only surpassed by the influence of Friends (87%). – Adobe “2013 Digital Publishing Report: Retail Apps & Buying Habits”
II. In-Car Navigation Technology Moves to the Windshield
- GPS navigation company Garmin has developed the HUD for drivers (heads-up display). It’s a portable device that displays navigation information from a smartphone onto the car’s windshield.
- How: a transparent film affixes to the windshield, or an included reflector lens attaches to the device. You can see real-time navigation information in daytime and nighttime driving situations. The HUD supports iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone 8 devices when used in conjunction with the Garmin StreetPilot1 or Navigon app. HUD cradle: $129.
- Question: When will mobile phones have the native/quotidian ability to beam onto windshield? This would negate the need for a separate one-trick pony Garmin dock.
III. Dads Hack Video Games to Reverse Gender Roles and Inspire Their Daughters
Some very cool parents who also happen to be developers wanted to make gaming more of an inspiring experience for their young daughters. Examples: Donkey Kong and Zelda were hacked to change up gender roles and make the girl characters heroes.
- Mario was now under Donkey Kong’s control
- Pauline was tasked with rescuing the plumber in distress.
Another awesome dad: Small business owner and gamer dad Mike Hoye spent a few weeks hand-tweaking the text in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker so that the main character was referred to as a girl instead of a boy. “I’m not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don’t get to be the hero.” –“I am no man”: For Zelda-playing daughter, dad gives Link a sex change 11/8/12
Big ups to these dads!
Tips on Tap
1) Clapmera – So simple, so genius. Instead of relying on the often frustrating camera timer or someone else to take images from afar, this app takes a picture when you clap. Free camera app for iPhone and iPad.
2) FxCamera app
Free for iPhone and Google Play, FxCamera is a cross between Instagram and Vine.
Just by sharing a single photo taken with FxCamera on Facebook or Twitter, FxCamera will donate a penny for a photo (up to $10,000) to Japan Water Forum.
3) ecorner.stanford.edu – If you’re a fan of TedTalks and other informative, often inspiring video tools for personal growth, take advantage of ecorner.stanford.edu. Melanie recommends one in particular: Carly Fiorina, CEO of Hewlett Packard on leadership, distilling information.
The Digital Dive Podcast is on Stitcher, the best free podcast streaming app. New to Stitcher? Please sign up with our link: