Podcast: Play in new window
So many tips, so little time in each show.
In each episode of the DDP, Emily and Melanie offer 3 of their favorite tips, sites, apps, and recommendations in a segment known as “Tips on Tap” (cue Emily’s radio announcer segment intro). A show favorite, many of you asked for more, and this week, you shall receive. The co-hosts are back this week and armed with 3x the tips.
1) Umano: News Read to You
Umano is an iPhone and Android app that picks about 50 online stories per day to be read by voice actors. The stories tend to be about technology and pop culture.
Happify is a brain training type of website that just launched and is claiming to “bring the latest scientific advancements in positive psychology and positive neuroscience to consumers in the form of games, activities, and exercises.”
Like a Pandora for podcasts, Swell Radio lets you tune into your favorites and discover new podcasts based on your interests.
4) iOS7 text timestamps tip: If you want to check the time you or someone else sent a text message, swipe from right to left on the screen to check out the hidden timestamps.
5) Price Check by Amazon: Online retail giant Amazon has its own barcode scanning app. Compare in-store pricing with the prices offered on Amazon.com, as well as search product descriptions and customer reviews.
6) RepairPal: Flat tires. Mystery sounds. Car trouble happens to the best of us. Use this site to search by your car’s make and model for a repair estimate and recommendation of “Top Shops” in your area.
Continue reading “15 Must-Know Tips on Tap: Apps, Sites & Hacks – Episode 29”
Podcast: Play in new window
- In response to Netflix‘s exclusive programming featuring their hit series House of Cards, Amazon announced in March 2013 that they were creating a Zombieland pilot. On April 19, 2013 they released Amazon Original Series as fourteen original pilots available free to Amazon Prime members. Users vote on their favorites and Amazon will likely produce two winners as full series. Emily gives the run-down on both House of Cards and a couple of the Amazon pilots: Those Who Can’t and Betas. Follow-up from Episode 14. P.S. Downton Abbey fans, by the end of 2013, Prime Instant Video will be the only paid streaming service to offer Downton Abbey. Hulu Plus and Netflix are out.
- Google Now comes to iOS. Available since July 2012 for some Android users, Apple device owners now have access to the clairvoyant Google Now by signing into one’s Google account in the free Google app for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
The nascent Google Now is a savvy digital assistant in ways that Siri can’t compete. Because Google records its users’ actions in all of its products (from web search to Maps to Gmail to Google+ and more) it has access to massive amounts of data and the ability to triangulate personal information, behavior patterns, calendar events, contacts and more. The potential for Google Now is quite exciting. Some users have concerns over privacy issues. However Emily is happy to benefit from the data she is already sharing with Google in exchange for predictive, personalized assistance. How will Apple and Facebook compete?
- Instagram app update: 5/3/13: Now users can tag other IG users in photos like you tag friends in Facebook photos. Tags must be approved.
- Best Brands on Twitter: Social Media startup Nestivity released their list of the top 25 most engaged brands on Twitter – we look at the top 10 and why they are successful.
About the List:
- Brands were selected based on the results of a study that examined how brands cultivate relationships with influencers, customers, and advocates on Twitter.
- Primarily using push marketing on Twitter doesn’t work (obviously)
- Conducted by Evolve Capital Inc. (private equity firm) and UCLA Anderson School of Management, the study looked at the top 100 most-followed brands on Twitter, analyzing over 739,000 tweets over one month.
- Significant: study was backed by a private equity/venture capital fund. Investors are paying attention and putting money into researching the success of brands on Twitter. Investor attention is often a barometer of the times; the players who have a major say in the lifespan and ultimate success of companies and industries are making a real connection between brand engagement on Twitter and a company’s bottom line.
- High follower count also did not necessarily mean an engaged audience: “While all of the 25 most engaged Twitter accounts had over a million followers, so did the bottom 70% of the same.”
- 76% of content that was shared (RT’d) had a photo attached, and 18% had a video as part of the message.
Top 10 Brands on Twitter:
- Notebook of Love
- Chelsea Football Club
- BBC Breaking News
- CNN Breaking News
Tips on Tap:
- Twitter Keyboard Shortcuts:
M = new direct message
N= new tweet
R = reply
T = retweet
GR = Mentions
GH = Home
GM – Messages
. = load new tweets
- Tips to resize and optimize layout of web images:
A. Two free tools to resize web images: Picresize and Resize Your Image
B. When resizing, choose small file sizes: Upload a PNG or JPG not too much larger than your desired image size. Choose PNG or JPG over BMP as the file format. Your site load times will benefit.
B. Have subjects (people, animals, products, etc.) facing in toward the block of text instead of outward and away from the text.
- Smartskin Condoms for Smartphones
Sex sells. This thermoplastic skin slips on and stretches to fit and protect your iPhone 4/4s/5 or Galaxy S3. Water-resistant plastic wraps retain touchscreen and call functionality and 98% camera clarity. Note that neither headphones nor cables can be used with Smartskin. Up to three uses per tab/pack. Smartskin from Firebox costs $18.50.
- This was our first episode recorded from two separate locations. Please excuse the less-than-perfect audio quality. Emily’s app recommendation for recording a podcast on iPad (used internal mic): Voice Record Pro (free app to record unlimited length with convenient conversion to MP3 and ability to share to Dropbox, Google Drive, soundcloud, email, Facebook, etc.)
- Amazon Studios unveils 14 original pilots -CBS News, 4/19/13
- Google Now is one step ahead -The Boston Globe Techlab, 5/9/13
- 25 Of The Most Engaged Brands On Twitter -Mashable, 4/25/13
- 25 Clever Twitter Keyboard Shortcuts -Mashable, 2/20/13
- ‘Zombieland’ Pilot Debuts On Amazon, Viewers Can Vote For Their Favorite Series -Huffington Post, 4/19/13
- Five Quick Tips On Choosing And Creating Images For Your Website Or Blog -socialmediarevolver, 4/25/13
You can download or stream The Digital Dive Podcast at thedigitaldivepodcast.com or search for us in the iTunes Podcast Directory–> If you like the show, please subscribe and/or leave us a review!
The Digital Dive Podcast is on Stitcher, the best free podcast streaming app. New to Stitcher? Please sign up with our link:
The Digital Dive PodcastTM: Get the most out of technology… without ever fully giving in